Providing High-Purity Water for Membrane Processes
Ultrafiltration (UF) is a highly efficient way to remove suspended solids, endotoxins, bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens from feed water for the production of high-purity water with a low silt density index (SDI).
Ultrafiltration is used as a pretreatment for surface water, seawater, groundwater, biologically treated effluent, and to prepare water for further treatment with membrane demineralization systems such as nanofiltration and reverse osmosis.
Fluence has decades of experience in designing, manufacturing, erecting, and servicing ultrafiltration systems for a wide range of applications, including:
- Reverse osmosis (RO) pretreatment
- Surface water clarification
- Groundwater with high SDI
- Seawater pretreatment
- Arsenic removal
- Primary and secondary treatment of effluents for reuse
- Bacteriological treatment for mineral water
Improving Water Quality
Ultrafiltration provides a constant water quality, regardless of the feed water's total suspended solids (TSS). It reduces organic matter by between 50 and 90%, and with the addition of coagulants, it can be used for arsenic removal. It also efficiently removes pathogens.
Features of Our Ultrafiltration Systems
- Lowest operating pressure in the market
- Stainless-steel skids
- 50-200µ self-cleaning filters
- Optimum hydraulic design
- High-permeability polysulfone (PES)
- Reduction of organic matter and precursors of THMs
- Low fouling
- Automatic backwash and chemically enhanced backwash (CEB)
- Hollow fibers with high mechanical resistance
- Filtering out/in process
- High mechanical strength fibers
- Automatic integrity test of the membrane.
- Automatic chemical dosing
- Programmable logic controller (PLC)
Ultrafiltration Vs. Conventional Systems
- Compact, low-footprint design reduces footprint by 50% (chemical dose, static mixer, flocculation decanter, multimedia filter).
- Lower investment
- Reduced operating costs
- No use of coagulants
- Lower operating pressure (<2 bar)
- Lower chemical consumption
- Efficient pathogen removal
- Extended life of reverse osmosis membranes when used as pretreatment for high-SDI waters
These features, among others, make UF technology a highly robust process for water with a high SDI or varying concentrations of solids in suspension.
Contact our experts to discuss your specific project details, and learn how our ultrafiltration solutions can help you meet your goals.