TORNADO® Subsurface Aerators
With thousands of units in operation around the world, Tornado subsurface aerators have a proven record of maximizing performance while minimizing energy consumption
From extended aeration and activated sludge processes to lagoons and oxidation ditch applications, TORNADO® subsurface aerators deliver excellent oxygen transfer and high mixing efficiency to a wide range of wastewater treatment processes in any climate. This unique product mixes and aerates all or part of a basin.
The Tornado aerator is available in two main versions:
- The Tornado self-aspirating aerator aerates on its own by drawing air from the surface and injecting it beneath the surface. It's available in sizes from 2 to 100 horsepower (1.5 to 75 kW).
- The Tornado blower-assisted aerator is used for applications requiring a higher level of oxygenation. The aerator includes a blower, which forces more air down the inlet and into the wastewater, producing higher oxygen It's available in sizes from 2 to 100 horsepower (1.5-75 kW).
Other options include:
Monitor and control wastewater process performance automatically
Realize substantial energy savings at your wastewater treatment facility with the SmartAerator™ TORNADO® surface aerator. This plug-and-play technology automatically regulates aeration levels and remotely monitors the wastewater process performance of our rugged, reliable Tornado aerators. Tackle the harshest of wastewater environments using our SmartAerator for cost-effective, optimized aeration and mixing.
The AQUA TORNADO® is a float-mounted, freshwater aeration device that features a large-diameter stationary draft tube with unrestricted air intake and a large propeller.
This self-contained unit requires no additional blowers, pumps, or mounting platforms. The Aqua Tornado has water-lubricated lower bearings for use in water reservoirs and lakes where grease-lubricated submerged bearings are prohibited.
Aeration quietly occurs just below the surface with no spraying or splashing, reducing odors. The Aqua Tornado is ideally suited for ponds 4 to 15 feet (1.2- 4.6m) in depth. Aqua Tornado injects air into the water at a high velocity at the open propeller hub.
Effective in all seasons, the aerator maintains large, ice-free areas in winter operations. Two- and 3-horsepower units are available.
Why Choose the TORNADO® Aerator?
The Tornado offers a wide range of benefits for customers.
Easily Add Pure Oxygen
Fluence’s partnership with Praxair, a supplier of industrial gases and application technologies, offers end-users a way to implement pure oxygen aeration to their wastewater treatment processes via our Tornado aerator. Adding pure oxygen to the aeration process increases the treatment capacity of existing aeration tanks, saves energy, and lowers emissions. In the right situations, pure oxygen aeration can provide an attractive total cost of ownership, and address some of the most important challenges facing wastewater treatment facilities today. Pure oxygen is also available as a retrofit kit to existing Tornado installations.
Fluence's Tornado subsurface aerators decrease the potential for foul odors around the aeration tanks and beyond the plant in nearby communities, improving employee morale and keeping your neighbors happy. They also reduce the potential for unsightly mess, equipment corrosion, and structural damage caused by splashing and misting, which saves you money in repairs, operation, and hazard prevention.
The Tornado subsurface aerator can introduce air near the surface of the water, below the surface, or near the bottom of an aeration tank. A mixing action carries the oxygen throughout the water and brings microorganisms into contact with dissolved or suspended organic matter.
Today, there are thousands of Tornado aerators operating at more than 3,000 treatment plants in more than 80 countries. Their durability has been proven time and time again, with some still running strong after 20 years.
The field-proven Tornado delivers dependable and economical performance in almost any condition and provides superior performance across a wide range of environments.
Angle-adjustment locking bolts make it easy to direct aeration and mix toward a deficient area and allows for optimal horizontal mixing velocities and fine bubble residence time. The Tornado subsurface aerator has a fully adjustable design, which allows for mounting on a float, bridge, or wall and the aeration and mixing of any basin or tank regardless of depth or shape.
Rugged, Low-Maintenance Design
Your treatment plant is much too important to get tied up with product failures. That's why Fluence designs and builds our Tornado subsurface aerators to last for years with minimal maintenance and flawless operation. Fluence products will stand the test of time, reducing your annual maintenance expenses and leaving you with more room in your budget.
When making your choice, consider the following design elements:
- The motor: The energy-efficient motor on your Tornado is by far the most rugged on the market. It's certified to meet global standards and sized for best performance with other components. It provides you with dependable operation even in the dampest, dirtiest, hottest, or coldest plants.
- Motor coupling: Using a flexible coupling to take up any misalignment between the aerator and motor shafts eliminates the potential for failure problems.
- Motor mount: A stainless-steel motor mount with two pins allows for easy aerator rotation from nearly vertical to nearly horizontal positions for maximum performance. The mount is designed to allow removal of the motor or the aerator for ease of maintenance.
- The propeller: After almost 20 years of experience, with thousands of Tornado units in use around the world, Fluence engineers have designed each model with a unique stainless-steel propeller that converts the incoming air stream into very fine bubbles and pushes them into the water for maximum residence time and zone of oxygenation.
- The shaft: The shaft design provides maximum stability, vibration-free operation, and unmatched extended life with heat-treated stainless-steel construction, ball-bearing support and shaft-protected tube assembly.
- The bearings: Patented sealed tapered roller bearings securely brace the aerator shaft, preventing vibration and supporting all propeller thrust loads, extending the life of the motor bearings.
- The bearing support and shaft protection tube: Made of stainless steel, the patented tube supports the bearings and protects the rotating solid shaft. Fluence uses seal modules to protect the bearings from the environment.
- The draft tube: The draft tube, which channels air into the water provides maximum airflow with minimum pressure drop. You get the most aeration and mixing, all below the surface of the water and without spraying or splashing, for the least amount of
Extensive Applications and Widespread Use
Fluence has evolved into a leading water and wastewater treatment technology company. We have developed products that offer cost-effective solutions in municipal, industrial, commercial, and institutional markets.
Tornado aerators are ideal for applications, such as:
- Biochemical oxygen demand reduction and removal
- Odor and algae control
- Nitrification and denitrification
- Aeration and mixing in tanks, lagoons, and ponds
- Aerobic digestion
- Ice control
- Volatile organic chemicals removal
- Leachate treatment
- Fats, oils, and grease removal or separation
- Revitalizing freshwater bodies
Our clients use them extensively at:
- Municipal wastewater treatment plants
- Food processing plants
- Dairies, wineries, and beverage plants
- Pulp and paper mills, and textile facilities
- Refineries, chemical, and petrochemical plants
- Fish and aquatic farms
- Animal farms
- Lakes, rivers, and ponds
- Military bases
TORNADO® Aeration Solutions to Suit Your Needs
Lease units are readily available as a quick backup for unforeseen conditions, if your capital budget is limited, or if you would like to evaluate a unit for your specific needs. When you decide to purchase the leased equipment, you'll receive credit for your leasing payments. At Fluence, our tried-and-true TORNADO® aeration line can be tailored to fit your requirements. Contact Fluence for more information about Tornado subsurface aerators, leasing prices, and purchase costs.